“You have exactly one life in which to do everything you’ll ever do. Act accordingly.”
– Colin Wright
You have an amazing gift – the gift of life. How you use this life you have is up to you – but you only get one. No restarting, no game saves, just one. One chance to fulfill your purpose, to find your meaning, to do all the things you want to do and to make your mark on the world.
So why are so many people not pursuing their passions and living a happy life full of meaning and purpose?
To be honest, all the reasons we can come up with are purely speculation, but we do feel confident in making this observation: if you are here you probably aren’t one of them. You probably are somewhere between “lost” and “discontented with life” and “trying to find a way to pursue your passions.” The point is, you’re different.
The Road to Epic project is about helping you find that path to living the life you really want to live and becoming the person you want to be. Everyone has the potential to lead a life they consider Epic – and we want to help you do it.
Our guiding motto is: Ordinary sucks. Live your own life, not someone else’s.
If you only get one life, why waste it on a boring, ordinary, unremarkable life? Why waste it doing things you’re “supposed” to do but don’t feel passionate about? One where your days are indistinguishable from one another?
Why should you spend your one, precious life slaving away in a job that makes you miserable and checking off society’s boxes of success? Why waste your talents and gifts when you could be using them to enrich your life and others’?
We don’t want to conform to society’s blueprint. We want to live our way. We want our lives to be Epic.
The Being Epic Philosophy
“My life didn’t please me, so I created my life.”
– Coco Chanel
Epic has many meanings, but there are a few central principles that sum up our ideas on what it means to live an epic life:
- Live Life on Your Own Terms. A foundational element of being epic is to live on your terms – not by the societal blueprint, not by what your parents want you to do, but what you want to do. Whatever it is that you want to spend your life doing, you should do it. Wake up every day excited to get out of bed – ready to conquer the world. Living someone else’s life instead of your own is no life at all.
- Do Meaningful Work. Freedom and happiness are worthwhile goals, but doing meaningful work is also a key part – otherwise you may find yourself feeling empty. Create a life and job where you’re doing meaningful work and adding value to the world by doing what you are passionate about. The value that you can add back to the world is far greater when it’s something you are passionate about over something you couldn’t care less for. You owe it to yourself and to the world to be yourself and do what you love.
- Constantly Improve Yourself. Learning new things, new skills and continually developing current skills are integral parts of being epic. When everyone else is falling into complacency you’re learning a new language, playing an instrument, figuring out how to write apps, or whatever it is that you are interested in pursuing. It’s up to you how you’ll spend your time and what kind of person you want to be.
- Measure Success in Happiness and Experiences, Not Dollar Signs and Things. Society loves to judge the worth and success of individuals by how much is in their bank account, the market value of their house, what clothes they wear, and other superficial values. The only real currency we see isn’t what you own, but how you spend your time. You should spend it by acquiring happiness and experiences, not debt and things.
- Help Others. On your journey to living an epic life, it’s important to help others do the same. However it is that you can contribute to help others, you should do it. Part of being epic isn’t about using others and never giving back – that’s selfish and shallow. Your success is never achieved in a vacuum; others have helped you get to where you are, it’s up to you to pay them back by helping others. That’s epic.
- Don’t Be Ordinary. Above all else, being ordinary is the exact opposite of being epic, and sums it up best. Being epic is not being ordinary. If your life were a book, would others want to read it? Do you really want to be like every one else? Do you really wan’t to be unremarkable and boring? No, you don’t. You want to be extraordinary. You want to be epic – because ordinary sucks. You’ve got the pen, now write the story you’d want to read.
“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.”
-Henry David Thoreau
So what will I find here?
Every week we publish articles on personal development, quality of life, learning, philosophy, productivity and many other topics related to building an unbelievably Epic life.
We’re still walking this road so you can also expect to find articles on things we’re working on to make our own lives a little more epic including fitness, language learning and travel.
You’ll also find a number of experiments and challenges we’ve subjected ourselves to so you can learn from our successes and our failures – without worrying about doing all the failing.
How Did This All Begin?
First off – let us properly introduce ourselves. We’re Caroline and Adam Wik. We met in college through a grocery store we both worked at (so romantic, amirite?) and knew we were meant to be together. After graduation things were tough – being 2009 there were no jobs and we had essentially nothing. We took the first jobs offered, we got married, bought a house and settled down. We were well on our way to completing the check-list society had made for us.
We were complacent. Doing what society told us we should do and getting the things we were told to have only made us stuck. Stuck in careers we weren’t passionate about, stuck in a house we didn’t need or want in a location we were severely unhappy with. Stuck.
It didn’t matter that we had all the things we were “supposed” to have; careers, a house, two cars and a dog you know the drill. We weren’t happy. Life felt empty and meaningless, and we had forgotten all of the dreams and plans we had just the previous year.
We had everything we needed and then some, we were more ahead of most fresh college graduates and even were saving for retirement. On paper it wouldn’t make sense to most – we had a good life, but something was missing. The days blended together, the weekends were too short and we were quickly sinking from complacent into depression.
One night we snapped – we couldn’t take it anymore. It took a near-suicidal depression for us to realize what it was that was missing: we needed to follow our dreams and goals we’d had only a few years earlier. We agreed that we’d rather be homeless and happy than have money and things but feel so empty.
Life isn’t about what you have, it’s not about what others see of you and it is definitely not to be spent doing work you aren’t passionate about.
No, life is about walking your own road; Doing what you are passionate about and spending your days doing things that are meaningful and fulfilling. It’s about following your own path, not the pre-determined path by society and our ancestors.
Our mission was clear: we had to reclaim our lives and create our own lifestyle, one that would allow us to achieve our goals. We had to walk our own road, our very own road to…
No, that’s too cheesy. I’m not going to finish that sentence, you get the idea.
Our mission is simple: to be epic and help others do the same.
We wanted to create a space where we could chronicle our ideas and experiments so that others could learn from our experiences, successes and failures and most importantly – to help others to live intentionally.
We want to be epic.
We want to help everyone be epic.
Where to begin? Well, here’s a few posts you might want to check out:
- Want to be Incredible? Break Your Kettles and Burn Your Boats
- How to Build Batman-Like Discipline and Willpower
- 13 Mental Traps You Need To Avoid
- Medidation 101: Meditation for Beginners
- The Epic Guide to Becoming Healthy and Achieving Your Fitness Goals
We also have a completely free book, The Road to Epic Starter’s Guide: 68 Things You Can Do Right Now to Live Your Ideal Life and Achieve Your Goals, where we cover all the basics of starting down your own Road to Epic. You can get it just by signing up for our newsletter – which, by the way you should do. We only email once a week with advice and things we find interesting that we don’t share on the website. Don’t worry – we never send spam nor will we sell your email address, and if you don’t love it you can unsubscribe anytime.
Ready to Start Your Own Journey?
Join us by filling in your email below and we’ll send you updates right to your inbox. Occasionally, we’ll also send out subscriber-only content too. We’ll never spam you and never sell your info, promise.
Get in Touch
Want to contact us? You’ve got options.
No one can tell you how to live your life. So what will you do now?